Top-ads

Powered by Blogger.

Footer Widget 2

Translate

Smoothie Crush

By | Sunday, September 30, 2012 Leave a Comment
I LOVE SMOOTHIES
__________________________________________________________________________________  
Anyone who knows me know that I'm a huge, gigantic fan of smoothies. I've been making them for years and, as always, I've put my lil remix and spins on them. If you're a person who don't get enough fruits and vegetables, then smoothies are a great way to incorporate them in your diet. It's also a neat trick to get kids to consume them. Although smoothies hold great nutritional value, my only caveat is to consider the calories. Know the calories on all ingredients added, they can generate quickly.    

I normally make a fruit medley smoothie (my basic), but there are no rules to which ingredients you can use, it is strictly personal preference. Many use yogurt, applesauce, honey, protein powders, liquid vitamins, veggies, etc.. If you are concerned of certain ingredients or have certain health issues, then by all means please consult with your doctor before adding something to your smoothie.

I love going to Sams to get my fruit but any local grocery store will do. Organic is always a better choice, but thoroughly wash your ingredients. I normally use frozen fruit (2-in-1, fruit and ice together), no need to add ice. Here is how I made this smoothie:

First decide on the type of smoothie you want (fruit, veggie or mix). It's ok to mix fresh and frozen ingredients as well. Fruits used were mixed fruit, mango chunks and blueberries.
I then added a half of banana, vanilla protein powder, Pina Colada Mix (non-alcoholic), a little orange juice and some water. Over the years, I've learned to make them to my liking without measuring. For those entertaining friends, there are some alcoholic blends that packs a punch. (Recipes will be in a later post).
Some make theirs thick like a shake while others prefer the consistency of juice. The banana and protein powder help gives it a creamy texture as well. Again, it totally depends on your taste. Mix thoroughly for about 1 minute or until a smooth consistancy. It helps to have a powerful blender. Pour and enjoy.
Most fruits are sweet naturally so I don't add extra sweeteners. It may call for some extra reinforcement if a certain veggie is added and the taste is a little bitter. I've used Spinach and Kale before but not meant as a veggie smoothie, only for the extra nutritional value. If you don't care for a grainy texture then use little to no seeded items, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, kiwi, etc.
Other add ons sometimes used: wheat germ, flax seed (seeds or oil), Aloe Vera Juice etc.. Try it and let me know how you liked it or if you put your own spin on it, I would love to hear about it. Enjoy.     
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: