Top-ads

Powered by Blogger.

Footer Widget 2

Translate

TIPS FOR GROWING LONGER HEALTHIER HAIR

By | Thursday, November 07, 2013 Leave a Comment

The ongoing good versus bad and long versus short hair debate may never be rectified. It’s a myth to think black girls/women can’t ‘grow’ long hair. Also a myth, thinking females wearing weave, wigs or any type of extensions must have short hair. Yes for some it’s hereditary and/or health related issues but for others it takes knowledge, low manipulation and much patience. I grew up sitting between my mama’s legs as she greased/oiled my scalp and gave me therapeutic scalp massages. I still incorporate that method and others in my hair care routine, except I do not use hair grease at all.

A funny thing happened to me while over a friend’s house.  As I sat around talking to a few people, the subject turned to me wearing sun glasses and a baseball cap. I explained my allergies/bad hair day etc. as one jokingly said “It can’t be that bad but you need to take that ish out your head!” -jokingly referring to my hair. She tugged at my hanging hair from my hat(as she said it) . Everyone replied “That’s her hair she can’t take that out!” She was shocked but still not convinced she said “really, I don’t believe it.” She quickly stood up and snatched my hat off my head and started running her fingers through my hair/scalp. It all happened so fast, it was one of those moments like, “Did that just happen?” I know them well and we all laughed but I couldn’t help to feel violated as well. Many have the mindset that long or healthy looking hair simply can’t grow from our own scalp or only mixed races achieve such great hair. MYTH!  

 
My hair is not in its natural state, due to enlisting help from the creamy crack police (relaxer). I’ve never had super short hair or hair touching my butt, but I made healthier hair choices, which done my hair a world of good. I’m not quite ready for the BC (big chop) yet but one day I’ll wing myself off. Baby steps, lol.
Here are some things I’ve done differently:  
·         Relax hair twice a year- touchups only.
·         Sleep in satin bonnet/scarf and satin pillow case
·         Air dry hair after each wash/conditioning
·         Maintain the moisture/protein balance of my hair
·         Regular scalp massages
·         Deep conditioning (conditioner under hooded dryer)
·         Protective styles (braids, updos, weaves etc.)
·         Use less heat on hair (flat/curling iron, blow dryer- if use always use heat protector)
·         Make sure to use a clarifying shampoo when needed (too much product buildup weighs down hair and make it dull…even when washed)
·         Wrapping hair nightly (I don’t do as often as I should, but it helps)
      ·         Regularly trim split ends when needed
If you want to know some products I use click here and also here. I will admit that I do switch up at times due to my hair needs. I’m currently using these, click here and really love them…a lot! What works for me may not work for all. It really is a trial and error process depending on your hair type. A good diet and exercise plan helps also. (NOTE: I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and other times add them in smoothies, click here to see how I make my smoothies.) ~uc xoxo
 
WHAT METHODS WORKED FOR YOU TO MAINTAIN HEALTHY TRESSES? HAVE A QUESTION OR SUGGESTION? COMMENT BELOW.
Photos: at2w, Thirstyroots, hairstyleweekly- All Yahoo  
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: