Top-ads

Powered by Blogger.

Footer Widget 2

Translate

ARTISTIC FLAIR

By | Friday, November 02, 2012 4 comments

 ONE ON ONE: Sharika Mahdi-Neville


Photo: Jackson Beal
H
er infectious smile and spirit will make a crowded room take notice. Sharika Mahdi-Neville is a breath of fresh air who's versatile and innately creative on all levels. She is one of my favorite visual artists and I am thrilled to own some of her work. At a gaze, her paintings almost sway right in front of your eyes.

Growing up in New Orleans’ Ninth Ward she embraced art early on. She often spent hours performing to Michael Jackson tunes with her younger brother while sitting around singing and drawing. In high school she discovered painting which became a platform that providing her with the training she desired. She then united with the world-renowned art guild, Young Aspirations/Young Artists (YA/YA) which exposed her to art throughout the United States and abroad.Graduating Valedictorian of her high school class earned her scholarships to college. Neville earned her undergraduate and graduate degree in Mass Communication from Louisiana State University. After almost a decade of working as an Event/Marketing professional, she regained focus on her craft with a renewed agenda; becoming a professional visual artist.







Left: High Note - Upper right: Keep It Movin - Lower right: Dilemma
 Her work has been in several galleries and can be seen currently at Exagere, an art gallery located in the French Quarter. No wonder why Maya Angelou praised her work and own a few paintings in her permanent art collection.

"I'm inclined to use figurative elements, smooth textures, whimsical expressions and bold colors indicative of my personality and how I see the world -- always moving and full of life. I gravitate towards joyful, musical and positive themes." ~Sharika Mahdi-Neville

Urban Crush recently spoke to Sharika Mahdi-Neville and caught a glimpse inside her world.

UC: Who were some of your influences growing up?

SMN: Growing up I didn’t have many outside influence, just my younger brother and a few classmates who had drawing skills. Since I was a kid, I enjoyed making up figures in my head and tried to avoid imitating other artists. I found that I got a lot of my inspiration from friendly competition.

UC: Who in your personal life pushed you to pursue your talent?

SMN: It’s always been a combination of compliments from friends and family that saw glimpses of my work and praised my talent which motivated me to rediscover my talent as a visual artist.

UC: Where do you find inspiration for each piece you create?

SMN: It’s all the images in my head inspired by my aspiration for things, happiness as well as my appreciation for music, fashion and theater.

UC: Are there any hidden talents/interests that we don’t know about?

SMN: I am interested in acting and I’ve been known by a few to hold a steady tune lol!

UC: Aside from your artistic ability, a little birdie told me that you’ve been on many movie sets along side of some heavy hitters, what was that like?

SMN: Yes, there’s a “background cameo of me in Madea Goes to Jail. Unlike many extras who may get only a 2 second glimpse of themselves, I was lucky enough to have more than 10 seconds in two scenes. Thank you Tyler Perry for not blurring or cutting me out! LOL! I’ve also been on set with Oprah Winfrey, Lenny Kravitz and Coba Gooding,Jr.,the Rock, Bruce Willis and Mark Wahlberg just to name a few. Don’t know them personally, but I enjoyed seeing them act in person!
 
 
 
Pics: LIONSGATE/TYLER PERRY STUDIOS


 UC: Is acting something you want to be more involved in?

SMN: Yes. I like behind the camera and in front; however, I’d love an acting gig in a national commercial or comedy sitcom.

UC: Do you have a favorite actor/actress right now?

SMN: Too many to count! ….Keri Washington is great to watch!

UC: What do you like to do in your spare time?

SMN: Dance!

UC: Any new projects, paintings or involvements coming up soon?

SMN: I am working on a new series of paintings for my “Joyful Life Collection” and I’ve also started drafting my first children’s book.

UC: Looking back over your life/career-to now, what have you learned?

SMN: Not to take negativity from others too seriously and to stay positive and persistent toward my goals.

UC: Where do you see yourself in the next few years?

SMN: Sitting in my brand new Mercedes Benz on my way to a red carpet event for a movie featuring a local New Orleans Artist’s rise to fame!

UC: Any advice for someone interested in following in your footsteps?

SMN: Stay at it and don’t let self-doubt. Take control! Study and research your passion and know and understand your “Brand” if you are an artist, singer, actress etc.

Great advice coming from someone who is well on her way. She is definitely one to watch with big things in store. Wishing her much success! 

To see more of Sharika Mahdi-Neville's artwork visit her site here  
Her paintings are also sold here (Fine Art America)
Potential customers can email her at mahdicreations@yahoo.com    
Newer Post Older Post Home

4 comments:

  1. You are in your element Sonya!!! Congrats and see you in the ATL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! Thank you Sharika for the interview and yes see you soon too in the "A":)

      Delete