Top-ads

Powered by Blogger.

Footer Widget 2

Translate

CHATTING IT UP WITH: DONDRIA

By | Saturday, October 05, 2013 3 comments


Over the BET Hip Hop Awards weekend, I had the pleasure of chatting it up with Recording Artist Dondria who, like many celebs, was hitting parties and events all over Atlanta. She was the sweetest and will blow you away with her great vocal ability. People are known to inquire about her hair and shoe game when she’s set to hit the stage….wondering what style she's gonna wear or what shoes she’s rockin’…etc. Read up on our little chat.

UC: Tell us a little bit about yourself, where are you from?
Dondria: I’m originally from Oklahoma but was raised in Dallas, Texas. I live here in Atlanta.

UC: For those not familiar with you, please share how you were discovered?
Dondria: I got discovered off of YouTube; I put videos up in 2006 just to get a bias opinion of what people thought of my voice and after being on there a year and reaching over a million views on one of my videos. JD (Jermaine Dupri) hit me up, surprisingly, and wants to sign me.

UC: I have to admit that I went on YouTube and saw some of your videos before you got signed and they were really good. I was like... ’Alright sistah girl, come on now! (laughter). In every video you had your hair ‘laid’, varies styles, colors.
Dondria: I did. (laughing)

UC: But I won’t even try to mimic you when you did the Frank Ocean’s, ‘Thinkin’ Bout you’… (tries singing it…yeah, I tried it…laughs)…yeah I couldn’t hit it.
Dondria: (laughing) That’s ok, that’s alright but thank you.

UC: How is it working with JD, does he push you?
Dondria: Yes! (chuckles) JD pushes me to where I get annoyed sometimes. It’s one of those things where you know it’s coming from a good place. You know he has a vision and he sees what I can become. So anytime he pushes me I just suck my teeth and keep moving because I know it’s for the betterment of my career.

UC: So what’s the best advice he’s given you about the business?
Dondria: Umm, his advice is through his actions; always keep working because if you sit at home thinking ‘Oh I’ll just wait until…’ there’s always something you can do to be productive to get further. When you’re not working someone else is and that’s when you can get kicked to the curb.

UC: That’s true, because if you sit on the sidelines, they’ll get somebody who’s ready to work, ready to win. Well since it’s a big weekend (BET Hip Hop Awards) in the “A”, what are some things lined up for you?
Dondria: Oh gosh, definitely a lot of events. I went to a gifting suite; it’s like a new boutique with new designers. They showcased a lot of their things, definitely this event (LEMF 2013) tonight which is, what I think, the most important and then I’m gonna party a little bit (she bust out a grin, lol).

UC: Yes I bet (chuckling).  What are some things we can expect from you?
Dondria: I’ve been working real hard on an EP called ‘Intermission’ and it’s finally ready. The release date is October 11th, so I’m really excited about that and it’s coming soon.

UC: Any plans on acting?
Dondria: I would love to get into acting. I’ve been dibbling and dabbling with some of my actor friends, just to get my feet wet. Yes, would love to get into acting, TV, movies, plays… anything. I was in an independent film (out of Dallas, Texas) called ‘Reunited’ which I played myself performing for someone hosting a party in the movie. It won best new independent film at the Peachtree Festival last year.

UC: Any advice for anyone wanting to get into the business?
Dondria: I definitely suggest using You tube as an avenue to getting discovered to put your talent out there. Do open mic nights, spoken word...things like that. Still send in your demos, the more traditional routes, because believe it or not they still work, it’s just the times of technology right now… even Karaoke. When I was in Dallas I did Karaoke and this lady watched me every week and she came up to me asking “what can I do to help you make it?” So you never know.

So make sure you check out Dondria’s new EP Intermission’ when it hits next week. Thanks Dondria and it was pleasure.
 
*******Pics: Urban Crush********
Newer Post Older Post Home

3 comments:

  1. Dondria has a beautiful voice and it's nice to see So So Def do something different. I love her song, "You're the One". Nice interview Urban Crush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you eessuccess, yeah great song! Thanks for reading:)

      Delete
  2. Great article!

    ReplyDelete