Top-ads

Powered by Blogger.

Footer Widget 2

Translate

INTERVIEW: Drummer Chris Drumz

By | Friday, November 07, 2014 Leave a Comment

Although he was only 16 years old when the original DRUMLINE movie first surfaced, but fate will have it for Chris Belcher to appear in the sequel, DRUMLINE: A New Beat. If you missed the Monday October 27 airing hopefully you are able to catch other encore air dates VH1 broadcasts.

A few minutes into the film, as the beginning credits appear, you can see this fierce force in action; blue shirt, locs with his hat to the back, on a drum set….yep that’s Chris. The few seconds of screen time truly don’t do him justice for how he work the drums.

Chris Belcher (aka Chris Drumz) was three years old when his mother migrated to Atlanta, GA with him and his sister from Queens, NY. Chris got his start playing drums at church where his grandmother was Senior Pastor. He remembered watching Everett King, another drummer at the church. He would go home to practice and mimic what Everett performed. As time passed he became very good and soon played for the choir etc.

Chris attended Creekside High School and later Clark Atlanta University, where he majored in music for three years but switched his major to film. He was looking for something to compliment his music which he already lived.

Read more about this great talent doing big things.

UC: Congratulations on Drum Line: A New Beat, how did your participation in the film come about and how was that experience?
Chis Belcher:  Well thank you, about two-three years ago they were casting a theatrical play called DRUMLINE Live. The Director of Consultant for the original DRUMLINE movie, Don Roberts, a good friend of mine, was Director of that play. I audition and made a YouTube clip and this is where my expertise as a film major came in.

Presentation is everything and I really wanted to show them why they should pick me. So when Drumline 2 came about Don and the drum major in Drumline 2, Brian Snell, reached out to see if I wanted to be apart of it, for a drum set part in the movie.

VH1 had audition tryouts and it might have been about 200 drummers who turned out, many very good and they audition everyone as a group but only needed to fill maybe 40 slots. My number didn’t get called so I was heartbroken, I was like “Ooooh no! [laughter] I don’t even want to watch the movie anymore, bump that movie…I’ll make my own movie that will be better etc.”

UC: [laughter]
CB: I told my mom the bad news and she said “What?! You know what, if God wants you to be in the movie they can’t make the movie until you’re in it.” I took that and ran with it, I was satisfied because all I want to do is God’s Will. About a week later, after that audition,  that's when I receive an email asking if I would like the part.”

UC: Amazing… and the filming experience?
CB: We first shot the audio part in the studio then returned a few days later to shoot the actual scene. The actors/actresses that I met on set were very humble. It was a great collaboration working with many band members from all over... South Carolina State, Clark Atlanta University (CAU), FAMU etc. I think people are going to enjoy it. This was my first appearance in a major film and I was basking in the ambiance.


UC: Who are some artists that you would like to perform and collaborate with?
CB: Right off the bat, it have to be T.I, I’m not a rap fan but out of everybody, T.I. Also Jay Z, who have drummer Tony Royster, but he may have a sick day. [Laughter]

UC: [laughter] Right! So best advice you’ve received as a musician in entertainment?
CB: Stay humble. Stay in your lane, you’re an artist but you’re not the artist. I’ve seen many who was overpowering the artist. You’re there to back them up. Be professional and business minded, that’s what separates you from everything else.

UC: Whose music do you listen to? CB: I’m more of a neo-soul type artist. Music Soul Child, Carl Thomas- who I recently played for, he was one of my favorite male R&B vocalist. It was a great experience working with him.

UC: What other artist have you worked with? 
CB: Kim Burrell, R. Kelly, Pastor Troy, Big Kuntry King (Grand Hustle), I was a part of events for McDonalds, Coca Cola, and Home Depot etc…
                                    
UC: It appears as if you’re on a roll.
CB: I’m trying [chuckles]

UC: What truly drives and motivates you?
CB: I’m a very family oriented person. I not only play for myself [and what I want out of life] but for the future of my family as well. That is why I admire people like T.I, who turned a negative into a positive. He sold drugs in the streets, but used his gifts to bring his family out of poverty and soared to the next level- in prosperity. I also do it for my community. I was raised and went to school in college park. To demonstrate my gift and make money from it and then hold free drum clinics while also doing many things musically for the community and for young kids… that’s my drive and motivation.

UC: Alright now, you better say it!
CB: [laughing]

UC: From a musician’s point-of-view, what would you like to see more of in the music industry?
CB: More live bands. I’ve seen more artists perform with a live band. There is nothing like live music, the total vibration and frequency of it is very much different than playing a track. It cost the artist/management more money for a band but when you talk about quality and experience, you have to have a live band in this industry.

UC: Exactly, very valid points. It’s easy to put a track on and have the artist rap over it; no instruments or anything else. You may have a hype man or dancers…if that?!
CB: If that!

UC: Give the readers a little more insight in your world, when not performing what do you like to do in your spare time?
CB: What do I like to do [laughter] if I have time? I’m very much an intellectual person, I like to study new things. If I’m not performing, teaching or at church; I’m a youth pastor at my church and hold bible study so when I’m not doing that I’m on YouTube and researching. I like studying all sorts of things, whether English, Science etc. Knowledge is power, money is always good to have but when you know something and someone else doesn’t then that’s truly power because you can inspire them with the knowledge that you have.

UC: Absolutely true. Do you cook?
CB: Oh absolutely! If you go on my families Instagram, you’ll see all the dishes I’ve cooked. I cooked yesterday. Yellow rice, and topped it off with Broccoli and spinach and smothered with mozzarella cheese and tomatoes on top with a tuna….

UC: [laughing] what!? Really? You get down like that?
CB: Yeah yeah yeah.

UC: Sounds like you know how to cook, the garnishes etc.
CB: Now I’ve seen some women who said they can cook bring me a plate and I’m saying ‘what is this?’ [Laughter]

UC: [laughter]
CB: Let me get in the kitchen and show you something....that just comes with experience, living by yourself and dating etc. I think I saved more money cooking for my dates than taking them out. I think women appreciate that more because you took the time out, oppose to going out spending forty-fifty dollars letting someone else cook it. There is no interest in that.

UC: Bingo, 1000% because women can appreciate a man who takes the time to show the initiative. Speaking of a date, what qualities do you look for in a mate?
CB: Someone who is a servant at heart meaning it’s not always about them and they’re always looking to help someone in need; very humble etc. I don’t want someone to wait on me hand and foot but in my profession as a musician, anyone wanting to date a musician really need to be understanding of the schedule. Musicians don’t get out until two, three or four o’clock in the morning sometimes so if I call at that time, it’s not because of a booty call it’s because I just got off of work.

I admire a woman who takes care of themselves but a lot of times they’re so much into self. I know how I can add to their lives but I need you to show me that you are more than mascara and eyelashes. I’m looking at your mind, I’m looking at your third eye. I’m not looking at your booty.   

UC: What advice would you give to someone just starting out?
CB:  Brand yourself. What makes you stand out as a musician? For example, I don’t know if you ever seen my logo with my face and signature etc.


UC: I have, it’s fly, I like it.
CB: I appreciate that and it cost quite a bit of money. A guy name Cory Whitehead, a painter at Apache Café here in Atlanta did it for me. So instead of buying Jordans or three or four hundred dollars True Religion Jeans, I invested in myself. I don’t have a label or company really backing me up. All the money I receive from performances goes back into T-shirts, the website, the logo, business cards etc. Its about being business-minded instead of worrying about where the next gig will be or who can I play for?

Also document your events. Whether I play for Home Depot, Coca Cola or Carl Thomas, the money I receive don’t go into my pocket, it goes to my videographer and that is where some sacrifices need to be made. It’s one thing to have it on a resume but another to visually see it on your website and YouTube.
 
Also, watch what you put on Facebook and Instagram. Some companies ask for your social media user name so they can see what you are about. If you’re smoking, drinking or show a pound of weed; it seems as if you’re not serious about your craft. I have a lot of kids who follow me so I can’t and don’t put crazy things on there. It’s really upholding the integrity of a professional musician out here.   

UC: So what’s next for C Breezy?
CB: Right now I’m currently in grad school at Clark Atlanta University getting my Masters in Social work.

UC: Ok, congratulations.
CB: They also have music therapy. Some of the kids in my summer music camp have attention deficit disorders and hyper tension; and the classes I have been taken really focused and drew attention to what they were doing. A lot of times these kids might be prescribed Adderall or Ritalin and there is nothing wrong with them. They need something to do that will get their attention. So instead of doping them up on medication, my music therapy or music school will be an outlet for them. So this is why I want to begin in social work.

I’m in the editing stages of my documentary called, ‘Deeper Than Drums’. It’s my life as a black man, musician, growing up in Atlanta in a single parent household being a youth pastor at my church. This past summer I started and founded my first summer music camp. A lot of schools in the south district of Atlanta lost a lot of funding and music programs were cut.

In high school we had music classes and that was the main thing that kept me going, it kept me off the streets and out of trouble. I was in the jazz and marching band, so it was my home. Young musicians, like myself, don’t really get a choice- either they’ll play sports or go into the streets to find some other entertainment. I make it my duty to go to various schools in the Atlanta area and hold free drum clinic so I’m able to be a blessing in that way to the kids where funding was cut.

UC: Exactly. Do you play any other instruments?
CB: I play spoons, tambourine [laughter] I always wanted to grow as a musician. I’m jealous of drummers who hop off the drums and get on the bass or keyboards etc. I’m thinking, ‘Man I’ve got more work to do’.

UC: When I saw you on the Coca Cola stage, I mean you murdered that drum set! You did not play around, how did that happen?
CB: [laughter] I appreciate that. If you come to my church, I perform and execute the same way because you never know whose watching. It could be a million dollar opportunity at a hundred dollar gig. One of the guys I marched with, my frat brother from CAU has connections with various marketing companies such as AT&T, Home Depot, Coca Cola etc., so it was having that relationship. I’ve been taught, ‘it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.’ Stay humble, be polite and represent yourself well. Later down the line you may cross paths with people who may get you to that next level.   

UC: Where can people find you?
CB: They can find me at my website www.chrisdrumz.com, all my events, pics from my music camp, bio, videos and my Instagram link (belcherdrumz) which I actually post most things there, Instagram, before YouTube and whatnot.    

UC: Thank you Chris for a great interview.
CB: I appreciate the opportunity for you having me on your blog. I really appreciate that.

UC: You are truly welcome.
 
Check him out in action as he goes to work. Great solo breakdowns and a moment where he blessed a little boy in the audience with his drumsticks at the end of this hot performance. Congratulations Chris and much success on all future endeavors. 
 
 
What do you think of his performance?
 
***All Pics: Chris Belcher social media***
***Video: Urban Crush***

Don't forget to LIKE (FB), FOLLOW (Twitter & Pinterest), JOIN and/or SUB (Urban Crush Blog) & YOUTUBE 
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: