Top-ads

Powered by Blogger.

Footer Widget 2

Translate

DIY JEWELRY WALL ORGANIZER

By | Monday, January 28, 2013 Leave a Comment


As mentioned in a previous post, I wanted more organization starting the New Year. I’ve recently searched for jewelry holders/wall organizers in stores and online. I came to realize how expensive some were or didn’t fit what exactly I had in mind. Although I have a couple beautiful jewelry boxes, my collection was outgrowing the boxes. Finding a way to conveniently look at my jewelry selection for display was what I yearned. So my search turned into my own DIY project. I realized that for the price I paid for materials, I was able to make 3 different projects…all for under $30, what a deal!
Here's what I used:


-Wood
-Paint Sticks or (wood pieces about the size of a ruler) 
-Measuring Tape
-Gorilla Wood Glue
-Duck Tape (Decorative)
-Cup Hooks
-Acrylic Paint
-Pencil

Home Depot have a bin filled with slabs of wood ranging in various size, thickness etc. The size I purchased was $4.01 -about 1/2 the size of a school chark board, (which was cut down to sizes I liked. I managed to craft 2 projects-17x24 each and this jewelry wall organizer- 14x24). If you go into the paint section and ask for paint sticks...they'll give a few for free. I was deciding on 2 different layouts but wasn't sure so I ask for both sizes (sm. 1Gal and lrg. 5Gal). Not pictured is the sanding sponge for smoothing. They have a small display of crafting/project wood various sizes, (I used Poplar and it was .98 each, I bought 14 but they were used for the other 2 projects...not this jewelry organizer.)
So let's get started... 




1.    Layout and measure your paint sticks on your board. You can have a Home Depot employee cut off the handles, if you want a more squared shape (I kept it for more length).

2.    Once you’re satisfied with the placement, glue your wood sticks to the board. Hold each one in place for a few seconds. Once done, you may allow a few minutes to dry or just continue. 
3.    I chose to have a white background to showcase my jewelry better (the contrast). I allowed it to dry then applied another coat. (I didn’t paint the sticks since I was using tape, but if you rather use paint instead of tape, great! Make it your own.)
 
4. Once background dries, cover stick with duck tape. Duck tape comes in various colors and designs. (I used 7/8 Cup hook (.98 cents), but use any size you like.) Again, measure and space your hooks. Using my power drill I pre marked the placements then went back to screw it in. 


And Voila!! I used Sawtooth Hangers to place on the wall. It’s spaced where I could still add hooks later as my collection grows.

Just as a bonus, I went to the Dollar store (days later) and seen these white storage/hanging hooks. They’re great for my bracelets and glasses you can’t beat .99 centsJ.

(TIP)  if you want to skip the wood, painting etc. just purchase these white hooks from the dollar store, as many as you like. They come with screws but I found that regular push pins work just as good (depending on what you hang) and smaller than the screw. This small simple project was under $10 and took less than 2 hrs. 

**WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT SIMPLE STORAGE IDEAS HAVE YOU USED?**
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: